Saturday, October 22, 2011

OCTOBER 22, 2011 10K

This morning was a very early and chilly start, but a beautiful day to run. About 40 degrees F. The Big 8 10k Race had a late start due to a fender bender on the course.  The 8am start was 30 minutes late. Not much fanfare other than an air-horn to begin it.  This was definitely a challenging race.  Small uphill, downhills to start, and then mile 3 and mile 4 were totally uphill. It seemed like it would never end. At one point I had to do a little bit of race-walk; then I regained my uphill pace. I read somewhere that you should just try to maintain on the uphill and then use the downhill to make up time. When we finally got to the downhills, I certainly felt the speed increase. I just wish I could have kept it up!! The last mile was uphill! It was a bit of a grind but I decided to dig in a bit.  Some one on the sideline was shouting..."Don't quit! Keep it up! Dig in and turn it up!" I know it was not my coach....but I was encouraged to try and turn it up some more. Overall, it was a great race and totally satisfying to see my time as I reached the finish line!! Because...my last race (flat course)  was 1:04:04 and today I got a PR!!  1:02:15  That is a minus 2 minute difference on a challenging course. Yes...it was a great day for a race! I am more than pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment