Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New PR in November

So it's already January and December and November's blogs did not get written. So, I better back up and review November. My training included 52 miles. The weather was general great with only a few cold days. I was able to also log a long run along with a lot of candy making preparations and apple pies.  November 13 was a 5K, Blue Ribbon Run at the Oyster Bay Golf Course. It was nice weather, 60 degrees. Beautiful day to run. My WTCHS Red Cross Club supported this run with a few students running along with me. I was not prepared for so many rolling hills. The course was a constant up and down seemingly never ending. It was however, beautiful. The more races I run, the more I discover places on Long Island I have never seen although I have lived here for decades. The race was fun and well organized. There was even a heated tent. That was certainly a luxury! Overall, I ran: 28:38, 10 out of 16 in my age group. I was satisfied, especially with all the hills!  Next race up was the Massapequa Turkey Trot in Massapequa Park. First of all, I got a late start out of the house and I got to the race to see overflow parking, and tens of people standing on the bib pick up line.  I was getting a bit nervous thinking I would not have time for the bib pick up, run back to the car with my obligatory t-shirt, and a bathroom break! It was a bit chilly and no place to stay warm. I'm still in the learning mode regarding race days!  Of course, all went well with the a fore mentioned issues. It was a chilly start to the day: mid 30's. I was dressed with the right clothes and after a warm up run (probably 1 mile total) to drop off the t-shirt in my car I was warmed up and ready to go. Basically, it was a flat course and I felt good. I had to sped away from runners who were huffing and puffing so loud it was throwing my rhythm off.  The best part was my time...a new PR:  28:09....and winning 2nd place in my age group! But alas, no medal for this race or podium picture. Everyone went home for Thanksgiving day turkey!




No comments:

Post a Comment