Saturday, November 6, 2010

Training

I thought I'd write about a training run especially since all I have written about are races. Today after procrastinating A LOT I decided to do a long run today. It was about 40 degrees with a brisk wind. The report was a wind chill of about 38...so I of course. overdressed for the occasion! Leggings, dri fit, pullover jacket....don't laugh gloves AND a headband! Ok, so I was sooooo comfortable for about 2 miles and then I had to start peeling off the layers!! Perhaps some day I will learn how to dress for the weather!! My plan was to run the perimeter of our neighborhood which is just about 6 miles long. Before I started my hip was bothering me, so I thought if I don't feel good I'll turn around....funny after 1 mile it was feeling fine! I ran at a rather slow pace with about 1 fartlek every mile or so. I did 4 pick ups during the run. I also caught my shoe toe twice o the sidewalk under some leaves. Whew!!! I caught myself each time...but it was scary!! I think all that balancing in yoga must help! By the end of the run I was feeling kinda sluggish but I kept running until I had gone 67 minutes. My goal was to run more than 6o minutes no matter what. Accomplished!! After the run, I was feeling kind of perky especially with a nice lunch and a Gatorade! But then we went shopping.......while at BJ's.....I began to crash! Boy was I tired!! Even now after a nap on the couch, I'm still tired! The one thing I have learned with training runs...is know your body and how it feels..know when it's ok to push it and when you need to stop and re-group! And now....it's time to find the couch for a little R and R again!! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Ah great training report! I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the store and crashed after a long ride or run. You sort of zone out as you walk in and out of the isles but in the back of your head you know the actual "work" for the day is done.

    Everything else is more tiring but more rewarding. Especially some Gatorade and a nice lunch!

    Isn't it crazy you are doing 60+ minute runs?

    So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete