Sunday, December 22, 2013

Race Report: Just happy when I'm running


Today was the HoHoHo 5k race.  It's a very popular holiday race here on Long Island.  There were 1265 entrants! Tons of people wearing festive holiday gear.  I added some LED light up earrings and red gloves.  When the race started I was walking out of necessity.....there was a huge throng of people and no where to go!!  I got off to a good start once the race for me began in earnest.  Today I also decided to wear my lighter racing shoes as the weather was pretty good probably hi 40's.  I was at a nice pace right off the top and not really huffin and puffin at all.  I check my time the first mile: aprox. 8:49 m/m.  Nice! I was pleased and made a plan to try and keep that pace as long as possible.  Mile 2: 17:45....still going ok.  Then about the last 1/2 mile I noticed I started to 'drag.'  I was slowing down a bit......I hit the 3 mile marker at 27:00 flat and decided I was NOT going to let that timer go past 28 minutes!! I pushed it and crossed the line at 27:59!! And now the AG outcome:  there were 19 in my AG...I came in 6th. There was a quite a bit of some heavy competition ahead of me but I was very pleased as that was 25 seconds off my last race PR.  I felt very happy to have improved a bit.  So overall:  AG: 6th out of 19, Females: 126 out of 678, All entrants:  403 out of 1265! Happy race running today even though I didn't bring home some hardware!!

No comments:

Post a Comment