Saturday, January 26, 2013

Freezing Temperatures: Feels lIke 2 degrees

The mercury in New York has taken a nose dive. The sub freezing temperatures together with the wind equal low single digit temperatures. Cold enough to make the seasoned runner think...um once or twice before heading outside for a run. In the 3+ years that I have been running this recent cold snap is the coldest I have ever run outside. First step is being properly dressed for the extreme cold. I had winter tights, thermal base layer top, dri-fit top, winter pull over with hood, winter mittens with fleece liners, winter running hat, and a fleece pullover 'neck warmer.' I really thought this was a ridiculous amount of layers even for me! But, I was not taking any chances since I hate being cold; but not as much as running in hot, humid weather. Suited up and ready...LOL..had to take the gloves off twice to put my ear-pods in...and then put on my watch! And then, one glance at the outside thermometer and I was off. Day 1: 27 degrees Real feel 6 degrees.... I was really cold. My nose was especially feeling the wind bite and breathing in was not so easy. That was on the way out...on the way back I was thinking, "OK, that's not so bad. I even feel a little over heated!"   Day 2  17 degrees: real feel 2 degrees...I could not get to 4 miles I was really feeling the cold! Day 3  20 degrees: real feel 7 degrees. Since I only had 2.5 on the schedule it wasn't so bad to run except for the fact that it snowed last night and the streets were pretty covered with snow and ice, so I had to take it a bit slower. It's amazing how I used never even want to venture outside for any reason and now I go out in sub freezing single digit temperatures and run miles. It's a good thing being open to change in your life, it opens up new adventures! I still like the fall and spring better! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment