Thursday, October 14, 2010

Run Like a Diva

On Sunday, October 3rd I ran in the Run Like a Diva 5K race. 99% of the runners were women. The Friday before, I also went to the expo which was kind of cool because everything seemed geared to women runners. I got a few bargains like the winter thermal at about 1/3 the price I paid last winter. But a lot was kind of gimmicky. How many glitzy hats, shirts and headbands can you look at? The race was on Sunday. It turned out to be very chilly in the morning; but it was survivable. I was able to 'check' my sweatshirt right before the race. Once again, I was at a race alone so I all I could do was focus on getting ready to run. I did wish someone was there to cheer me on; seemed like I was the only one running solo. There was a lot of fanfare at the beginning with even a Broadway star singing the National Anthem! I was determined to start at the front no matter what this time, even if dozens of people passed me!! The course was, as it turned out, up and down probably the only hills in Eisenhower park. I took off pretty fast and then got into a rhythm. I really felt pretty comfortable at least until the last 1/2 mile. Another woman came up behind me and stayed next to me for quite a while. I tried to pick it up but just didn't have it in me. She took the lead but only by a little bit. I was disappointed that along the route there were no split times. LOL...no water but it was too cold for that anyway.
When I got to the finish line I looked up to see my time and the clock was blank! I found out it was not working. Geez.....for my $25 it would have been nice to see my time on the clock at least for myself! As we crossed the finish line there were some hunky firemen handing out roses and another in a tux handing out champagne. There was lots of food to eat but only a limited amount of gatorade was available. Don't runners really need hydration??? I had to walk back to my car for my own 'after the race drink.' After waiting in the freezing cold....what seemed like an awfully long time I found out that I had come in 1st in my age group and 31st out of 310 people! All and all I was very pleased because I ran a PR: 28:45. Wining made it a sweet race!
Next race: Blazing Trails for Autism: 4 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment