Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Winter Running Blues

                        

I'm trying to stay positive in the midst of a relentless winter of snow, ice and freezing temperatures.  January proved to be an incredibly cold month for New York.  Constant frigid temperatures and bitter wind chill numbers.  Not conducive to outdoor running.  I thought trying to fit in my training with the normal workday crunch was hard but throwing in winter weather has finally pushed me to an indoor treadmill.  I first relented and started to run, after hours in the hallways of the school where I teach.  A few times doing that I discovered pounding on a stone floor was definitely not good for my legs.  Then I headed to the downstairs gym and gave in...and got on the treadmill.  Well, not the best ambiance but I got to run.  3.5 miles was all I could do before my interest started to fade.  Treadmills are just not the same as running outside.  I found myself getting bored and watching the time and distance tick by.  I never really felt 'in the zone' of just running.  And today's weather you may ask? That would be:  snow, freezing rain, sleet and rain, piles of slush, ice and snow laced with big puddles of water.  Nice slick streets creating not so nice running conditions outside. And the forecast? Another storm is yet headed our way for the weekend.  So, it's back to the treadmill for me tomorrow; I will be thinking about the next time I can go for an outdoor run, when there are no winter weather issues standing in the way.  I can just imagine it: clear sunny weather with no ice, no biting wind chill temperatures and no snow on the ground either.  That kind of running makes me happy.  In the meantime.......the treadmill will be my new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment